Wow, it has been 9 months since my knee replacement, and I quit writing posts after my last therapy sessions. I have to say that for many of the previous months, my knee worked well, but still did not seem a part of me. I cautiously began playing golf in late August and tennis in September. My advice from my doctor was "don't run and don't fall down." So, it was with trepidation that I began doubles tennis again. I really did try not to run, but my natural instincts soon overcame my fears, and I can say that I do run with abandonment toward those wayward yellow spheres. Loving playing tennis again and at a competitive level - on a USTA 3.0 team (senior). Golf is progressing, and I do love the game, most of the time - but what I really enjoy is being outside with friends, and celebrating the good shots and trying to forget the way-too-many bad ones.
Physically, the numbness continues on the outside of the leg, but that isn't bothersome, but still feels funny when I shave my legs. I have occasional clicks when I walk. I really don't think about my knee when I climb stairs. My scar is minimal. I have no pain, which is the absolute best result of the surgery. I do lots of walking now and enjoy that immensely. I would do it all over again (but hope I don't have to with my left knee - fingers crossed). I'll post once again after my one year check-up, but to those of you considering replacement - get it done - it won't get better - IF, and a big IF - your MRI or X-rays show you've lost all cushioning between the bones. Good luck!
No comments:
Post a Comment