I'm closing in on 6 weeks post surgery - a point where the surgeon and therapist says I should be 80% recovered. I have been feeling more and more "normal" and have gotten back into the routines of my life, but some things still elude me.
I have been going to the fitness indoor pool about every other day (when I don't have physical therapy) and walking back and forth, starting with 10 minutes my first few times and working my way up to 20 minutes today. I have also done toe and heel raises and squats (I've progressed from mini-squats to deeper squats) like the ones I do at therapy. Today, I did some step-ups that I also do in therapy now, only not as many. I thought that I would be through with therapy after six weeks (which ended Friday), but my therapist said two more weeks at least. I talked to a woman today at the pool who said she went for 16 weeks, but surely it won't take that long. Each time I go to therapy we seem to add exercises or machines to use, so I must be getting some strength back. Just trying to be patient and enjoy the little steps I'm making toward recovery, like giving up the walker at night. I remind myself to be thankful that I don't have any pain when I walk - something that surely wasn't true six weeks ago.
I had a real treat for the 4th of July. I was able to get on a friend's sailboat with a little help and maneuvering which was parked directly across the water from the barge that shot off the fireworks for the 4th. It was a great front row seat and the fireworks were spectacular. Getting off the boat was lots easier than getting on, although the floating dock was a bit difficult to maneuver, still a little shaky, but I'm doing exercises at therapy that works on that.
Visited a friend today, who had surgery about 12 days ago. She's had home health care, but although she is doing really, really well, I am able to look at my progress and be glad I have 4 weeks ahead of her. I still have problems with my sleep patterns, and feel tired a good bit of the day. I don't know if that is due to lingering effects of surgery or whether there may be some other reason for the fatigue. I have an appointment with my regular internist this coming week, so maybe she can answer those questions. However, overall, I continue to improve and continue to be extremely happy I've had the surgery.
No comments:
Post a Comment