Had a great visit at my doctor's office today. Can't believe it has been 3 weeks since my surgery, as the time has seemed to crawl by, but more and more I realize that it has been well worth it. My physical therapist had given me a note about my progress to give to him, and both the PA and doctor seemed pleased with it.
I had X-rays taken again, and everything looked good and in place. The first thing the PA told me was that I could ditch the compression hose - what a relief. I was beginning to fear I would have permanent indentations on both legs. I forgot to ask the doctor why I had to have the hose on the good knee as well as the replaced one (not the bad knee anymore!) Maybe I'll remember on my next visit. I do have to continue to wear the sleeve on my leg, but don't even have to wear that at night.
What a sad sight my leg is what with the glue residue, the extreme dryness, the long, ugly, discolored incision, and the exceedingly long hair that has avoided the razor for a month. The PA removed the adhesive strips that had held the incision closed and noted the new ones that the doctor had added when he re-glued me. There was only mild discomfort, hardly enough to mention. She did caution me not to pick at the glue residue (it is tempting, but I'll try to refrain.) She showed me how to massage the incision to help with the scarring. I am to use Vitamin E oil.
More good news, I can drive as long as I haven't had pain medication in 6 hours, I can go to the pool and walk in the water, maybe I can even putt a little bit, and I can jettison the walker if I want to. I think I will keep it for nighttime use, as I still need that security, but I'm walking around the house without it now.
I feel like today is a major milestone in my recovery and I will try to work even harder with physical therapy to get even better.
No comments:
Post a Comment